skip to Main Content

Richmond council rejects further push for empty-homes tax

By Maria Rantanen for Business in Vancouver

Richmond city council is not pushing for an extra empty-homes tax, but they are going to ask the province to return the tax it collects on vacant homes to municipalities.

Coun. Kelly Greene brought a motion to council’s committee meeting on Tuesday asking for council to push the Union of B.C. Municipalities to allow cities to levy an empty-homes tax, on top of the speculation tax already imposed by the province.

Greene argued that being able to collect a tax on empty homes would allow Richmond to create affordable housing, and bring it in line with what Vancouver is doing.

Vancouver Real Estate News, Market Updates, Insider Tips, Stats, & Analysis

Sign up for insider real estate news & tips from our podcasting team.

Are you a realtor? Click here
Selling Your Home? Click here

  • Reload
  • Should be Empty:

“It would level the playing field for investors parking their money, and it would have a huge impact on what we can do for affordable housing,” Greene said.

Coun. Linda McPhail pointed out a similar motion was passed at the recent Lower Mainland Local Government Association, which means it would automatically go to UBCM.

Coun. Alexa Loo said everyone is supportive of affordable housing, but questioned how this would be different from the current speculation tax. She said this just adds another tax, which she doesn’t support, and asked whether this empty-homes tax would be a “new head tax.”

“I don’t think it’s going to add any value at this point,” she said.

Continue reading the full story here >>

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

As Seen and Heard On

Media enquiries and press contact info:

© 2020 Matt Scalena PREC* & Adam Scalena PREC* , all rights reserved • Site MapBy Line49 Web Design, Vancouver BC

*Considering a real estate transaction? One of the first decisions you will need to make is whether you should work with a licensed real estate professional who will represent you. Take a moment to read this important consumer protection information from the Real Estate Council of BC. This form explains the special legal duties that real estate professionals owe to their clients. CLICK HERE and please call 778-847-2854 or 778-866-4574 immediately if you would like to discuss.

Back To Top